Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Indie Profile: The DuBeau Hostel, Flagstaff, AZ












I chose the DuBeau largely for nostalgic reasons. On my previously mentioned bus trip, I stayed here and had a wonderful time. My new friends and I drank beers around the fire in the the evening (maybe there was a fire), telling stories and singing songs deep into the night. My fellow travellers included Arizonans ("white" and Navajo) on weekend trips, Australians, Brits, Californians, Swedes, and an older New Zealander couple. The Australians actually had a full-sized didgeridoo. It played alongside an acoustic guitar and a homemade wooden flute of some kind. This was--and I don't say this often--a lovely night. I was twenty-five, and I'd just had my first short story published in a Tampa Bay Weekly. In the morning I would visit the Grand Canyon and in the mean time I was surrounded by gentle and loving people from all over the globe. The world seemed rife with wonderful possibilities.
*
Twelve years later, there was no fire (I'm not sure there ever was) and I was--it was very evident to me--quite old. Still, I was treated with great tolerance and even friendliness as I eavesdropped on the conversations of travellers, young people pondering good questions and with good motives. It was heartening.
*
The DuBeau is locally owned and operated, with friendly staff and a general communal atmosphere. The facilities are actually converted from an old hotel, one of the oldest in Arizona. The hostel has a full kitchen available for guests and provides a free breakfast from 7 -10 a.m. The recreation room has free Foosball and pool. The location is unbeatable, right in the heart of downtown, just a short walk to bars, coffee shops, etc.
*
The cost of a private room with a double bed is $40, including the tax, the other reason I chose to stay there. The hostel caters primarily (and according to whom you speak, exclusively) to international travellers. I wouldn't be surprised if they sometimes turn people away on these grounds. They may be more lenient in renting the private rooms. I was asked if I had a passport or a student ID, and thanks to my ongoing apprenticeship I did have the latter. Will I ever not?
*
The rooms are charmingly rustic. Quarters are not air conditioned, which is usually not a problem due to the mild climate. I did bring my own fan due to my excessive sweating problem.
*
If you can get in, the DuBeau is a local treat for the thrifty traveller and perhaps a quaint diversion for the hopelessly middle-classed respectables looking to "rough it" for a night or two

No comments: